Chaotic
12th May 2003, 08:23 PM
go you beast!

http://www.turboclub.com/Books/Bathurst_84_85/Bathurst8485_1.jpg

http://www.turboclub.com/Books/Bathurst_84_85/Bathurst8485_4.jpg

Chaotic
12th May 2003, 08:24 PM
i love that wing so much!

the flared wheel archs and that front bar are cool as well.

boostinhard
12th May 2003, 10:21 PM
Hey,
yeah - its pretty nuts... Every time I see it I just think of my car lining up next to the online performance crx with very wide front slicks on (if I has teh bathurst front bar and guards...) would be cool as...
Sam

Paz
9th June 2003, 04:56 PM
omg i want that kit.....haha, da lil exa look so blown..... :heehee: :heehee:

Lonx
12th June 2003, 12:30 AM
mmmm, i saw those pics somewhere on the web the other day. Made me want an N12 with over-pumped wheel arches hehe (ie. XU1 torana style!)

Paz
12th June 2003, 12:34 AM
hey they might have some kits lying around out the "back" at bathurst raceway.... hmmm, i might ask around, if they have em still, they would probably pay us to take them away!..

ExaBaybee
12th June 2003, 12:19 PM
damn that looks horny... hmmmmm
and brendan your right the whole fat GTR XU1 thing is just sexy... ;)

so whos going to b game enuff to make there baby a wide ass car..
:moonsmili

Master Yoda
12th June 2003, 01:32 PM
This is the Actual Document that goes with the pics.

Turboclub.Com writeup about the 1984 N12 Nissan Exa (http://www.turboclub.com/Books/Bathurst_84_85/Default.htm)

it also show the info on the Bluebird

VERY LITTLE was seen of the little Nissan Motor Co EXA turbo after its debut in the Sandown Castrol 400 in 1983, but it was back again for Bathurst 1984. In fact, the race development programme had not been halted at all on the wild looking Pulsar derivative, it was just that EXA driver Christine Gibson had been punted off the track so many times at Amaroo Park, that the team decided to do all the work on the car away from the race track. Like the Bluebird, the EXA was a racing orphan developed by the team, under Howard Marsden's direction, and with little if any output from Japan or anywhere else. And like the Bluebird the EXA was breaking new ground, not just in turbocharging, but in the even more alien world of front-wheel drive. In the turbo-charging area, the four cylinder EXA was at least being towed along with developments on the Bluebird. FWD, previously anathema in racing, was where Nissan team had been making major advances with the EXA. It was a deliberately quiet development programme, after the car was withdrawn from the limelight at Amaroo, which was the ideal track for developing the car. Away from Amaroo the team concentrated on making the car easier to drive, particularly around corners. That was no easy task because the car was reputed to be putting out almost as much power as the Bluebird and that was not nice to contemplate in a small, FWD short-wheel-base vehicle. The expectation was that the nimble, lightweight little rocket would be sensationally quick at Bathurst 1984, especially down Conrod.

Also in 1984 bathurst, the drivers were Christine GibsonGlen Seton, it was in Group C, and Did Not Finish (half-shaft)

Mike

Chaotic
12th June 2003, 10:58 PM
yeh im definately hooked on the bathurst exa, i've wanted that style rear wing for ages, but finally seeing it on a car (even though they did it 15 years before i thought of it) makes me love it more, and those wheel archs just look mean, i so cant wait to do it, make get some old torry archs and try and mould them or custom them...

front bars really gonna depend on when the cooler goes in then see!

kekilepep
20th June 2003, 04:14 PM
mmmmm yum yum

*Imagines flared guards on his n12 with Deep dish Chromies at rear*

Ohhhhhhhhhh

ExaBaybee
5th July 2003, 08:39 PM
anyone wanna guesstimate a cost for that kit

-Mike

KAMELEON
6th July 2003, 04:02 PM
to do it properly by someone who does this everyday atleast 5 grand as u see it there minus rims
to do it ureself alot cheaper but car will be off the road indefinately
i like sams idea
just big fatties on the front
thatd be tuff as!

Android 360
7th July 2003, 05:11 PM
the front bar is an adaption of the factory front bar, therefore, u could use the top bit of a front bumper to make a mould! the rest are straight edges so it wouldnt b too hard to recreate

Howie
7th July 2003, 05:37 PM
... that is a nice piece of nissan history there. i wonder what ever happened to that car? and the fj20det george fury bluebird.. has the same style kit and blue red decals as this exa.

apparently there are few GF Bluebird replicas .. wish that was the case for this sweet little n12.

CMY48U
7th June 2005, 11:01 AM
i think the bluebird only had a Z18 off memory! That exa does really look the goods!:)

SevPP
7th June 2005, 11:22 AM
The Bluebird was a Z18. I have pics of it here at home from the Bathurst museum.
A guy I know worked for the race team at that time. He said they split a Z18 block in testing(from memory) so they used an L18 block- it lasted only 3 laps or so under the huge boost pressures!
I'll have to ask him about the Exa next time I see him. I do recall him saying that it was easily as fast as the Bluebird in a straight line.

Ben Hewitson
7th June 2005, 11:44 AM
george fury ran the Twin spark Z18ET motor at a very very inspiring yet mental 39.6psi from memory... no wonder it didn't last that long.. The Z18 wasn't an L18. it was the CA20 twin-spark from a SOHC pintara or something. a little different to look at. but the Z18 isn't compatible with the L18. had troubles with it when looking into replacing the L20 in my datto 1600.

CMY48U
7th June 2005, 12:51 PM
has anyone got more pics and info o the exa's, especially under the bonnet?

SevPP
7th June 2005, 02:50 PM
As far as I remember the Z18 uses what is basically a stronger L series block. This would explain why a z24 crank would fit into a L20 block (z24=Navara). I really couldn't tell you the differences though. The guy I know was one of the mechanics for the team at the time so I'd take his word for it.
From what I've seen the z18 block doesn't look all that different.

Ben Hewitson
7th June 2005, 03:04 PM
doesn't look different but you have troubles fitting the head on an L block.. as with nissan in the 70-80's all their parts were interchangable... an L18 is a bored out L16.. the L20 is a strocked L18 with an 14.3MM increased hight deck. The L24 is an L16 with two extra cylinders... the L26 a lenghthened L24, etc, etc..

The navara 24 crank will jsut fit an L20 but you need to do some bearing work and remove some of the block so the counter weights will move freely... i've done it and its quite simple realy... what is also cool is the Valves from a Jap E15et are almost the sameas the L20SSS... interesting..

the Z18 inspired many a Datsun 1600 owner to go out and find the engine and put it in... you just had to reverse the gearbox mount and put up with a reversed H patern shifter (ie f1st, 3rd, Rev down the bottom and 2nd, 4th, 5th up the top... it all went in fine.

As i said i tryed the Z18 head on the L series block and it was different.. it is similar to the replacement for the L series, the CA20. (not like the CA18 at all but 10years younger..).. i have the diagrammes at home and the twin spark heads didn't fit on the L blocks without lots of work) Same as the E series is nothing like the A series yet the E15et motor will fit up the the Datsun 1200 5 speed gearbox, and the Clutch assembly in the E15 is the exact same part as my L20b with 5speed.

85EXABOY
7th June 2005, 03:24 PM
i believe the moulds to that bathurst exa were sold to that orange exa with the 20b engine.
would nto be difficult to copy at all!!! if you had the patience and time.

SevPP
7th June 2005, 03:55 PM
Hey Ben thats some very good info. Thanks for that. As I said if I get the chance I'll have a bit more of a talk to that guy that worked for them and see what I can find out.

Pulsar_ET-R
7th June 2005, 06:20 PM
http://www.gotboost.biz/EXAfile.html

hainerob
10th June 2005, 05:25 PM
I wouldnt mind gettin hold of one of the old "The great race" videos from bathurst 1985. Got a few cars in it (exa, bluebird) I wouldnt mind seeing.

Anyone got any sources?

Pulsar_ET-R
10th June 2005, 06:01 PM
i have a mate with the ET races lol where ET were given to racers like john bowe etc and they cained the crap outta them and had them on 2 wheels and all lol, ill ask if he has the one with the gibsons cars