PDA

View Full Version : Mixture heater?

Draekon
30th August 2007, 03:11 PM
So after my coolant leaking for months, i decided to look and figure out where it was coming from. It ended up being a coolant line that goes into something underneath the throttle body. The line was all preformed but I didnt want to try to hunt down a new one so I just bought some 3/8" hose and stuck it on but it ended up being kinked.

After looking around in my chiltons manual and online it looked like the line was for a mixture heater or something?

My questions are:
What exactly does the mixture heater do?
Do I need it?
If not do I need to tune the car any different (e.g. adjust the timing at all) if I bypass it?

Its an '88 e16i by the way

AndrewR
30th August 2007, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it warms the air before it enters the manifold, helps fuel vaporise.

In warmer weather, it isn't necessary, but as your winters can get quite cold, it would probably be a good idea to keep it.

I would think you'd need to return without it, but it won't run as well in the colder weather..

Draekon
31st August 2007, 11:21 AM
Well after driving it around for awhile, the car seems to be hesitating around 4k rpms... Im not sure if its just another random problem or its related to this.

AndrewR
31st August 2007, 11:39 AM
Its mainly during COLD (near or below freezing) weather where it would be of use.

Looking at the weather data for your area, don't think this would be the cause of it.

Draekon
1st September 2007, 02:24 PM
Alright, thanks for the help. Appreciate it