PDA

View Full Version : Turbo conversion for a 1984 GX hatch.

justin
19th November 2003, 03:41 PM
I have a 1984 GX hatch and am considering replacing the motor with that of a 1984 Exa. Just a few questions before I get started.
1) Am I going to need to do major structural work to my engine bay or does the E15ET fit in without too much work?
2) Is the conversion legal?
3) Have any of you attempted this change?
This may be the first of many posts,
I appreciate your input,
Thanks,
Justin

68IOU1
19th November 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by justin
Just a few questions before I get started.
1) Am I going to need to do major structural work to my engine bay or does the E15ET fit in without too much work?
2) Is the conversion legal?
3) Have any of you attempted this change?
This may be the first of many posts,
I appreciate your input,
Thanks,
Justin

1)the E15ET bolts straight up. nothing to modify whatsoever. i am guessing, of course, that the engine in it now is the E15S (carby).

2) in victoria, yes (with engineers cert.). check with your state RTA if you arent in vic, though

3) Yes, i have, successfully. and in the middle of an LB Astra (N12 Pulsar) E.F.I. conversion now

any questions, dont hesitate to ask. i have most of the answers you are looking for :P

:dapimp

JeffET
19th November 2003, 05:00 PM
Unless your GX is of special sentimental value, ditch it and just buy an ET. Its quicker, cheaper, and wont give you the shits when things go wrong during the conversion. You'll get 4 discs all round, probably better interior and all the other things that the turbo got over the std model, and you get to drive it next week instead of next year (if at all!!)

justin
19th November 2003, 05:43 PM
Thankyou both for your replies.
I'm looking for a bit of a project so I will probably give it a go. I'm getting one, possibly two exas from a mate for practically nothing. He wants to see them go to good use.
Can I use the EXA brakes as well?

Nisman
19th November 2003, 08:25 PM
motor will bolt in.
you will need an efi tank, or have to put in a surge tank and efi pumps.
in nsw you DONT need an eng certificate, because it came as a factory option, but you do need to have the car at the minimum standard of an et... rear disks, same polution gear etc. All you need is to pass a blue slip.
i did look into doing this to my old gx hatch, but in the end i sold it, and bought me an exa, saved alot of dosh, but my old pulsar was getting a bit banged up.

lacho
17th December 2003, 09:52 AM
if you are looking for a project then jsut make one sexy exa out of the 2 you are getting or just buy a rough ET for $1000 and make that your project. cant polish a turd