REMOVE ADS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rebuild your e15t box with n13 internals!

rebuild your e15t box with n13 internals!

You can rebuild your e15t box with n13 internals!

1 st get n13 box...then the crown wheel(4.11:1)unbolts off the n13
    diff and bolts straght on to the ET diff(still using ET
    spidergears).
    Yes.

Take the crown wheel from your n13 gearbox, and put it on your n12 diff.
    You'll find that the n13 diff just won't sit and spin in the n12
    bellhousing, which is why we reuse the n12 one, but with the appropriate
    gear diameter.

You need to do this so that the final gear on the output shaft of the
    n13 gearset matches it's original counterpart, the crown wheel.

> i also know that the gear train needs to be swaped over...but am
    > unsure of if it is a straight swap....

Swap EVERYTHING.

Pull everything that is n12 related out of your existing gearbox,
    hanging onto the diff.
    Keep the bellhousing part of the gearbox, aka the bit that bolts to the
    engine, you don't need the cover that goes over all the gears
    themselves.

You then take the n13 input shaft, and put it in the n12 bellhousing,
    likewise with the output shaft. Keep the n13 selectors with the n13
    gears.

Now, SWAP THE SELECTOR SHAFT.
    This is very important. Additionally, I found I even had to swap the
    reverse gear section that bolts through the side of the bellhousing on
    into the side of the input shaft.
    It's an ass to get out, you'll need a really big headed phillips
    screwdriver to get them out.

So take this out of the n13 bellhousing, and put it in your n12
    bellhousing, along with the n13 selector.

To remove the selector, it's actually in two pieces, you'll need to
    knock out the split pins (2, one inside the other) about half way down
    the selector - then you can get each half out.

Basically everything gets swapped over. Oh with one nasty exception -
    the speedo drive, you use your original speedo drive BECAUSE the speedo pickup is *after* all
    the gear ratios, it's going at wheelspeed, not 'diff speed' hence no
    matter what gearset you have in there, the speedo is still spinning at
    the same speed as your wheels, so you don't use the n13 one. Another
    trap for the unlucky amoungst us.

The dog selector gear has teeth on both sides of it. These are
    what crunch when you don't fully engage gears. They are all made the
    same, even the one that engages 5th gear. This means one side isn't
    used. So, when doing the re-assembly, this gear can be popped off
    and swapped end for end giving brand new never used teeth to mesh
    with. Just be a little careful as there are 3 locating pins which
    are spring loaded, these need to be pushed into place to allow the
    dog gear back on the shaft.
    Last edited by mattybaby; 7th July 2005 at 03:29 PM.

former exa owner KAMELEON is someone we respect KAMELEON's Avatar

didnt realise ppl didnt know that. the gearboxes arnt that different inside like youve obviously seen/heard. though the n12 boxes have better gearing. the ca boxes have very short gearing which for the first two gears especially is way too short to give a clean semi launch from a high horsepower fwd. good idea if your on a budget as the n13 bits are much easier to get your hands on. if anyone needs pieces from a n13 box i have a whole gearset minus diff centre.

Cheers for the sticky...... More comin!
    **CA18DET install from s13** T28bb Turbo, 3inch Mandrel exhaust JunBl Muffler, FMIC, custom piping, HksSSQ, Re-Map ecu, 183kw at wheels@16psi, 1/4 mile 13.1 @ 119mph, Dual stage Electronic Boost controller
    Extreem HD clutch, Hd King springs lwrd 1-2inch, gabriel shocks, front strut brace, 17inch Chromies.., Re-sprayed Interior Yellow?
    2 Lcd screens, Sony DVD/mp3, custom dash mount, 2 x Alpine type-R subs , 2 x Jaycar amps 1000wrms,Soundstream taran 6.5inch splits.

A whole AlbumHERE

Brap kekilepep has disabled reputation kekilepep's Avatar

hmmm
    is this a ca16 box or a ca18 box ?

are the 2 boxes the same ?
    was there ever a turbo box for ca18det fwd ?
    if so, wouldnt it be more viable to use this as the gear ratios would be better suited to the n12 considering the engine the box came from was a det ?

hmm
    Rotas Go Round! Pistons Go Down!

the ca18 box..afaik havent tried ca16..
    **CA18DET install from s13** T28bb Turbo, 3inch Mandrel exhaust JunBl Muffler, FMIC, custom piping, HksSSQ, Re-Map ecu, 183kw at wheels@16psi, 1/4 mile 13.1 @ 119mph, Dual stage Electronic Boost controller
    Extreem HD clutch, Hd King springs lwrd 1-2inch, gabriel shocks, front strut brace, 17inch Chromies.., Re-sprayed Interior Yellow?
    2 Lcd screens, Sony DVD/mp3, custom dash mount, 2 x Alpine type-R subs , 2 x Jaycar amps 1000wrms,Soundstream taran 6.5inch splits.

A whole AlbumHERE

Brap kekilepep has disabled reputation kekilepep's Avatar

hmmm

im interested in knowing if the det box from a fwd ca18 is the same as the n/a ?
    Rotas Go Round! Pistons Go Down!

Regular Wes has disabled reputation

Hey Jonathan, ive heard it might not be possible, but wanna know if its possible to take the 5th gear from teh n12 gearing and swap it for the N13 5th gear. The ET im buying has the n13 internals already but because im in perth and do a lot of freeway driving the owner of the car atm says that he's on 3200RPM in 5th, which for long drives and trying to cruise, isnt good. Ive heard you might not be able to because of some linkage or selector arm thats part of the 5th speed gearing itself that also links to either reverse or a diff gear.
    Shit, at this stage im just hopin what im crappin on about is makin sense to ya!.....

I dont wanna be at that rpm on the freeeway. Im not fussed about a huge gearing drop between 4th of the n13 and 5th of the n12 (if theres a big power gap or performance drop off) coz when draggin i'd only be just mid way in 4th going over the line anyway, so 5th i only want for cruisin.

If the rpm in my GL (with the E16box-best ratio's out of ALL E-series pulsars) is bout 2600rpm in 5th and i put that same 5th gear (if poss) in with the n13 gearing and diff ratio, i might be maybe just under or around 3000rpm? maybe? hard to say i know, but 200rpm in 5th at those kinda revs makes a big diff to me.

Lemme know

Cheers mate

Wes

EXA/NX Maniac mattbramble is someone we respect mattbramble's Avatar

my mate gave me a 1.6 box for nothing because the casins is cracked because of broken mount or something but all the gears inside are smikko
    do u reckon there is much difference between 1.8 and 1.6 I know the ration's are slightly diff I have them on .xls if anyone is interested actually I'll just post it up. just want to know if they are stonger then our shitty n12 gears hahaha
    Attached Images

Just wanted to know if Mattybaby knew bout the 5th gear swap? Still need to know fairly urgently!

Thanks mate

Wes

Guru of boostage Ben Hewitson is known as a rock round here Ben Hewitson's Avatar

you could just replace the final drive with a 1.6L N12 box and that would 'unload' the box enought to make it theoretically stronger cause of less load..

But keep up apdated on the 5th gear thing as i'm going to make a N12/13 box very soon for my new motor.
    Benagiser

I didn't buy an early model Nissan FWD turbo cause i wanted a reliable car now did I...?
    "The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity"

,`,,`,,`, <== What is this..? Why do people do this..? Its making me all..ARGH..!

The Black Jet TJ20 has disabled reputation TJ20's Avatar

Yea i recently swap my internals to a n13 pulsar cos i kept blowing my box, its good driving around town but once you hit the freeway the revs at 110kmh sits at roughly 3200- 3500rpm. It has less load on the diff now and i haven't gone thru another gearbox

does a lower number in a ratio mean it will go futher in that gear or not eg does a 3.063 go futher than a 3.333?

Regular shanec86 has disabled reputation shanec86's Avatar

good to see someones using the excel chart i made

Quote Originally Posted by mattbramble
    do u reckon there is much difference between 1.8 and 1.6 I know the ration's are slightly diff I have them on .xls if anyone is interested actually I'll just post it up. just want to know if they are stonger then our shitty n12 gears hahaha

Im real tired and havent read over what im writing but here goes....

Yeah Exa 018, it means you have a broader gear range than the higher number. Higher numbers in relation to diff number mean the gears are short range. Example, the n13 diff has 4.136:1 ratio whereas the ET has 3.550:1.

The n13 will have shorter range in each gear due to it reving higher. Liken it a bit to a 4wd in low range..... it will rev the tits off the engine but not move too fast, but it has plenty of torque now and puts less pressure on the gear box.
    The ET box has substantially lower ratio diff, meaning it'll rev lower in most gears but take far longer to get to its optimum rev/power range where most 4 cylinders need to be in. The ET is perfect for cruising, but could be a lot better for dragging and general snappy throttle response per speed increase.
    This is why i wanted to go the n13 box but use an ET 5th gear set. I dont care bout a huge difference in rpm going from 4th to 5th when driving.... when you go down the 1/4 with the n13 i hear youre at mid to top of 4th and is pointless going into 5th as youre generally just crossing the line.
    I sit on 2600rpm in the ET at 100kph, but the n13 5th gear has the engine sitting at 3200rpm at 100kph. For long drives i dont want my exhaust droning me to death, have it resonating with my subs and use more fuel than the ET cruising at a lower rpm.

Ben, add me to msn mate coz i need to know urgently whether to go out and buy a box and do the swap. Im going to have everything out during mid week as i get the motor back and would like to do this swap if its possible. I have like 5 gearboxes and am not caring bout losing a whole box for its 5th gear. I have an N12 1.6l box too but dont think using that diff will make as much of a diff overall as opposed to just changing the 5th gear. I want it to last and have plenty of poke but be able to cruise. Im thinking that if a 5th CAN be fitted it will drop the rpm down to maybe -roughly- 2900ish?
    Would be better to get the 1.8l n13 box too as its 1st gear is a better ratio and less pointless than the 1.6l
    Interesting to note (as per the excel sheet ) that the latest n15 VLSD pulsar has pretty much the same ratio box as the ET but has close to the same ratio diff as the N12 1.6L..... hmmm
    I have all these boxes and should maybe put the 1.6 n12 diff in the et box? Anyone tried that yet? Otherwise will stick to the ET 5th in the n13 internals.

Grr so many ideas and options but dont know if any of them will mesh and work in harmony with each other! If ANYONE has ANY more info or thoughts, let me know please!

Cheers

Wes
    wesn21@hotmail.com

Guru of boostage Ben Hewitson is known as a rock round here Ben Hewitson's Avatar

you've been added dude.
    Benagiser

I didn't buy an early model Nissan FWD turbo cause i wanted a reliable car now did I...?
    "The smaller the monkey the more it looks like it would kill you at the first given opportunity"

,`,,`,,`, <== What is this..? Why do people do this..? Its making me all..ARGH..!

Cheers mate

Quote: "The dog selector gear has teeth on both sides of it. These are
    what crunch when you don't fully engage gears. They are all made the
    same, even the one that engages 5th gear. This means one side isn't
    used. So, when doing the re-assembly, this gear can be popped off
    and swapped end for end giving brand new never used teeth to mesh
    with. Just be a little careful as there are 3 locating pins which
    are spring loaded, these need to be pushed into place to allow the
    dog gear back on the shaft"

Matty, which gear are you talking about here, just the 5th?

Wes

EXA/NX Maniac CMY48U is someone we respect CMY48U's Avatar

Thanks man!
    You have the right to remain Stupid, Everything you do say can and will be Ignored

Guru Paul Smith has disabled reputation

I'm just being pedantic but a 4.11 diff is referred to as a lower gearing than a 3.55. The smaller the number of final drive ratio the higher the gearing.

Mods
    T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 3 Cam, 5th Injector

Mods To Come
    AdapTronic ECU, FJ20et Injectors, Lowering With Progressive Springs, Paint, Ported Head

Burnt Fingers Kimmo is someone we respect Kimmo's Avatar

Has anyone tried sticking the lower 3rd & 4th from the NA box into the turbo box...?

Or is it just the final drive that's different, I can't remember ATM

+ Reply to Thread