REMOVE ADS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how hard is it to pass a blue slip

Elite Member wingnut has much to be proud of wingnut has much to be proud of wingnut's Avatar

how hard is it to pass a blue slip

as title says and whats involed in a pink slip
    what stuff do they look at?
    i've got alot of mods!

Exa Oz 2004 attendee

Toyota driver rob_o is someone we respect rob_o's Avatar

Depends how dodgy the bastard is really hehe.

For some mods like turbo, etc you will need engineers certificates. Others they will just pass, or reject, once again depending on the inspector.

Is there anything in particular you are worried about?
    ED Ford Falcon GLi - Stock Daily Driver
    MX83 Toyota Cressida Grande - 1JZ-GTE

No Idea... KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin's Avatar

blue slip can be very very hard to pass if you have a modifyed car.
    Most of the guys can be pricks and are just lookign for business.

If you think everything should pass without a problem goto a garage that is really busy as they will pass you alot easier than someone who is quiet. Also if they charge a little more for the slip they are generally less likely to look for soethign stupid...

Just a few things to look out for!

I went to a certein bloke who was supposed to be dodgy. He passed my old magna, but he didnt wanna pass my car because it had 17's on it and an air pod. My mate got an engine transplant in his car and went to the same place to get an identity check, the dude didnt even pop the bonnet or check the k's on it.

PM sent wingnut.

Elite Member wingnut has much to be proud of wingnut has much to be proud of wingnut's Avatar

cool i know a guy i can try
    how many go's do you get at a blue slip?

Exa Oz 2004 attendee

the first mechanic you take it to is your mechanic until the blueslip process is complete

You CANNOT try another mechanic once one has failed your blue slip, so choose wisely.

You must remove all traces of oil from the engine bay, under everything... they need to see that the car isnt leaking a single drop of oil. They _will_ fail you for having old oil left on the motor.

You must have all your tyres with enough tread, everything that came standard with the car must operate as specified. This includes the horn, window wipers etc (wheterht they check or not, well)

there cannot be any illegal modication to the vehicle, the exhaust cannot be higher than 53dB(think its 53) and then they'll test drive it.

They'll connect it to a little comp, see how fast it accelerates and then how quickly it stops, if it doesnt stop in time with specifications it will fail.

Basically, you must present them a 100% legal and operational vehicle to get a blue slip

I should offer my background on this.... I had to blueslip my 1990 EA Falcon, and everything I said above happened to me.. He found like a little spot of dried oil, failed... also found one of my tail lights wasnt working, and the windscreen wiper fluid wasnt coming out one of the squiters... all went down on the failure report, there was some other wack bs too, but I forget it all now.. That was like 5 years ago heh

'94 Nissan NX Coupe
    MECHANICAL MODS: Modified Airbox & Sports filter, advanced timing, short shift.
    EXTERIOR MODS: 15" mags, nxcoupe.com stickers, colour coded trim.
    INTERIOR MODS: Blue dashlights, Trust Steel gearknob, Monza Blueleather gearboot, blue seat coverings.
    STEREO: Kenwood CD/mp3 HU, 4" 180W BOSS centres, Pioneer 16cm 3way fronts, Kenwood 5" Dualcone rears, 10" Kicker sub driven by BOSS 400w Amp.
    SUSPENSION: Front strut brace.

More when I got coin...

Hmm wait, pink slip or blue slip?

pink slip is a lot easier, they'll still test the brakes, and they'll give it a quick look over
    but they wont go to quite the same anal detail as they do on a blue slip

'94 Nissan NX Coupe
    MECHANICAL MODS: Modified Airbox & Sports filter, advanced timing, short shift.
    EXTERIOR MODS: 15" mags, nxcoupe.com stickers, colour coded trim.
    INTERIOR MODS: Blue dashlights, Trust Steel gearknob, Monza Blueleather gearboot, blue seat coverings.
    STEREO: Kenwood CD/mp3 HU, 4" 180W BOSS centres, Pioneer 16cm 3way fronts, Kenwood 5" Dualcone rears, 10" Kicker sub driven by BOSS 400w Amp.
    SUSPENSION: Front strut brace.

More when I got coin...

Well when I got mine done and the guy rejected me, he said I have 14 days to clear the defects otherwise I will have to pay extra or something. I cant remember exactly. Pink slips are much easier as they only check the basics.

I PM'd you the bloke I went to as other people who have gone there have had it pretty easy.

No Idea... KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin's Avatar

Um isnt the legal loudness for an exhaust 92dB (or 93dB) for our cars?
    Casue if not im f00ked.

Yeah... Blue slips are a bitch to get... Good luck with it all!

What ever he declines tho, you can easily get fixed (in most cases).

Guru dilbee is someone we respect dilbee's Avatar

also i think u should see if ur seat belts retract like they should and not frayed. nect time i take down a bike from our shop for a blue slip ill ask the bloke there what is it he looks for etc on cars. As for bikes he just checks blinkers, horn, lights back and front and head light. Then get the engine number and vin no. and then look in his folder to match the bike to the stat sheet of that bike and write down all the info required like weight etc like that.
    doin it dilbee style

i got an exa that needs blue slippin n wif tha exhaust me m f*ked cause i got 2 1/2" pipe with a 4" canon does any1 know tha cost or any suggestions to make it quieter

who ya gonna call? Lonx is someone we respect Lonx's Avatar

don't fit a 4" cannon to an exa? get a silencer for the cannon? or an extra resonator.

brap brap brap StaTiK has a brilliant future StaTiK has a brilliant future StaTiK has a brilliant future StaTiK has a brilliant future StaTiK's Avatar

silencer is the best bet. cheaper than an extra resonator, and why do you have a 4" cannon on it? 2 1/2 is enough for it!

EXA/NX Maniac MR pat has disabled reputation MR pat's Avatar

i have a 3" from the turbo back and i need a blue slip i think im f*cked in that regard

Sidewalk Surfer EVLEXA is someone we respect EVLEXA's Avatar

The legal limit as stated by the EPA is 90db.....I got done over in Penrith on the pits and mine was somewhere between 90db and 98db..not sure of the exact db rating but I know it cost me around $250
    www.nissanexa.com does not condone any acts that are in violation of the respective State / Federal laws & will not be held responsible for actions of its members.

EXA/NX Maniac MR pat has disabled reputation MR pat's Avatar

did it cost u $250 to get it fixed or did they fine u $250 at the pits ?

Guru dilbee is someone we respect dilbee's Avatar

when u said in Penrith im guessing in Sydney right? thats a long way from melbourne for a blue slip. haha
    doin it dilbee style

Sidewalk Surfer EVLEXA is someone we respect EVLEXA's Avatar

It was a $250 fine for excessive noise pollution....then I had to get my exhaust fixed up which I think cost me about $50

And yes, Penrith in Sydney, when I was living there last year
    www.nissanexa.com does not condone any acts that are in violation of the respective State / Federal laws & will not be held responsible for actions of its members.

Shes on fire!!!!! ty_exa is a name known to all ty_exa is a name known to all ty_exa's Avatar

when i worked at a mechanics for work experience, i did rego checks constantly for pink slip... all they asked me to check was...
    -tail lights (all brakes, lights, reverse, blinkers)
    -blinkers
    -brakes
    -tyres
    -oil leaks
    -general checkover for any large rust spots or holes in exhaust
    -seatbelts
    -headlights
    -numberplate lights
    -windscreen wipers/ blades/ pidlers (squirters)
    thats about it. now that i look at it in a list, seems like alot. crazy. i hope it helps some people out in the process of registeration.

Quote Originally Posted by ty_exa
    when i worked at a mechanics for work experience, i did rego checks constantly for pink slip... all they asked me to check was...
    -tail lights (all brakes, lights, reverse, blinkers)
    -blinkers
    -brakes
    -tyres
    -oil leaks
    -general checkover for any large rust spots or holes in exhaust
    -seatbelts
    -headlights
    -numberplate lights
    -windscreen wipers/ blades/ pidlers (squirters)
    thats about it. now that i look at it in a list, seems like alot. crazy. i hope it helps some people out in the process of registeration.
    Yep thats for a pink slip.

Blue slip check for more things from what I remember, but it all depends how dodgy the place is really.

+ Reply to Thread