REMOVE ADS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S13 CA18DET - oil catch can setups?

Semi-retired veteran chkn72 has a brilliant future chkn72 has a brilliant future chkn72 has a brilliant future chkn72 has a brilliant future chkn72's Avatar

S13 CA18DET - oil catch can setups?

Hey everyone, one of the last stumbling blocks with getting my exa registered is the exposed oil breathers on the exhaust cam cover (and the other hoses going to no where on the intake cam cover)

so I'm thinking I might aswell go an oil catch-can setup... but i honestly have noooo idea how to set it up...

has anyone got close up pics of how they set theirs up?

or if someone could do up a diagram of how to set it up... bare in mind that I want this to be legal, so I dont want a catchcan with a breather, it would need to be hooked up to the intake for ventilation...

any help at all would be great!!

p.s yes I've searched, but I can't get a definitive answer...

Guru Buzz has much to be proud of Buzz has much to be proud of Buzz's Avatar

u ledgand i was only thinking this mornin that i wanted to know this! and u've asked for me!
    Green is not a colour it's a state of mind!!

ALL YOUR GREEN M&M'S BELONG TO ME
    ShReXa in the making CLICK HERE

Semi-retired veteran chkn72 has a brilliant future chkn72 has a brilliant future chkn72 has a brilliant future chkn72 has a brilliant future chkn72's Avatar

after a bit of research, i've found that catch cans have 1 input and 1 output and a drain hose...

so the breather hose from the exhaust cam goes into the input, then the output goes to the intake... then the drain hose goes back to the sump...

so that would mean I either need to have 2 catch cans (1 for each cam cover) or a catch can with 2 inputs....

i'll go take a decent pic of my engine bay and post it here so someone can help!!

just found this pic dunno if it helps at all tho!

and heres a linkhttp://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3248273
    it mightt help
    this is the way i understand it tho correct me if i'm wronf just not sure which way around it goes!

Last edited by Buzz; 27th September 2007 at 07:30 PM.

unfortunately not.... that looks like the oil catch can would have a breather on it, which I don't want since it's not legal!

heres my engine bay...

just wondering... can I just block this plug off, or is it something major?
    Last edited by chkn72; 27th September 2007 at 09:22 PM.

Guru Safe_Hoon is a name known to all Safe_Hoon is a name known to all Safe_Hoon's Avatar

hmmm yes i wanna no to ps nice bay chickn

No Idea... KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin has a brilliant future KaiShin's Avatar

You can get catch can's with more than one inlet.
    Don't have it runnign back to the sump becase its crap.

Just empty it out when its full.

You basically just run hoses (Like the above pic of my old N13) from the breathers into the catch can.

I <3 Chkn, Bogan, Blood, Packy & Packy's Mum

Quote Originally Posted by chkn72 View Post
    just wondering... can I just block this plug off, or is it something major?
    actually, it is something major. It connects to your crankcase and equalises the pressure/vacuum between the head and crank case. What did you do with its connection just above the oil filter ??

as for catch cans..

factory breather setup

single

double

BQ.05.TD motorsport boostdET is someone we respect boostdET's Avatar

thats how my engine bay was when i first got it,it just feeds straight into the intake for the turbo, now it just vents to atmo under the g-box, i wouldent use a catch can on that one cause sweet FA comes out of it, but if you want just conect one up like the diag above and it will be all sweet, the outlet that goes to the plenum has a pcv valve in it, that only workes when the car is in vac but any thing over 0 vac and its closed, i would leave the pcv valve in as even with my car and the mtech it still idols like shit then you take it out and you pressurise your head causing oil to go down between your valve seals and you blow smoke

i did a oil air seperator on my old et and it worked a treat, just done feen it back to the sump, cause the stuff ya catch can catches is uber shit, just empty it when its full
    microtech lt8 with hand controller, GTR injectors
    550,180,65 cooler with alloy pipe work, walbro 550hp fuel pump
    GT2876R aka GT2540, full custom equal length manifold
    turbo smart duel stage 10-15 psi 3" turbo back

edit: 3/2/07 138.4 kw @16 PSI
    edit: 10/2/07 132.8kw @16PSI
    edit: 2/6/07 142kw @ 13 PSI
    edit: 7/8/07 174kw @15 psi ( new cooler and tune)
    13.7 @108mph 2.24 60ft

you can get catch cans with 3 fittings... why not plug up the pvc. Run both hoses to the catch can and the 3rd back to the intake of the turbo. It would be legit way.

If you're really really really anal... you can probably find a fitting which holds a filter before it goes back into the intake.

yeah don't pump the dump back into your sump.
    Garry

Lancaster Nismo Founder Packrat has disabled reputation

this is to catch al lthe sludgy crap? right? cuz ive been wondering how to avoid that crap going back into my intake....
    rat
    Be proud to be different,

Former Member Brian_ratm is someone we respect Brian_ratm's Avatar

ok the answer is infact pretty simple, run both the outlets in hoses into a 2-1 adapter and into the bottom inlet in a catch can.
    then run the top hose back into the inlet, this is legal requirment
    run the drain back into the sump and your done.
    legal and it realistically stops the wetter sluggy type stuff going into the intake but still passes the legal requirment of not wenting the gas anywhere else

ps. my car passed a vic RWC with this set up last week

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_ratm View Post
    ok the answer is infact pretty simple, run both the outlets in hoses into a 2-1 adapter and into the bottom inlet in a catch can.
    legal and it realistically stops the wetter sluggy type stuff going into the intake but still passes the legal requirment of not wenting the gas anywhere else

huh pics bro i confused

BQ.05.TD motorsport boostdET is someone we respect boostdET's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_ratm View Post

the problem with this is the 2-1 adapter, say for eg that the 2 lines are 1/2" and when you T them into 1 hose you dont want 1/2" hose, cause that is choking the system and causing back pressure, yes its all good to say that its only oil vapour etc but if you are serious about it working to its full potential then you have to take this into consideration, so if you are doing this then you have to at least double wat both hoses are in size,

and you dont want it feeding back into your sump, cause if you have a lot of blow bye it will pressurise the catch can than go all the way back to ya head and pressurising that as well, not to mention all the shit going back into ya sump, just empty it once a month ot when ever it gets half full
    microtech lt8 with hand controller, GTR injectors
    550,180,65 cooler with alloy pipe work, walbro 550hp fuel pump
    GT2876R aka GT2540, full custom equal length manifold
    turbo smart duel stage 10-15 psi 3" turbo back

edit: 3/2/07 138.4 kw @16 PSI
    edit: 10/2/07 132.8kw @16PSI
    edit: 2/6/07 142kw @ 13 PSI
    edit: 7/8/07 174kw @15 psi ( new cooler and tune)
    13.7 @108mph 2.24 60ft

i seriously wouldn't dump that blow by back into your sump.

its a catch can.... meant to catch. IF you want to return the oil back to the sump. Save yourself some money and run the hose directly back to the sump.

a good engine shouldn't have too much blow by. If you start pressurising your sump it will pressurise the entire engine. Oil wil return to the sump from the head slower. Also it will exaserbate the blow by issue by increasing pressure to encourage blow by.
    Garry

The two fittings on the catch are NOT for just both rocker covers... the idea is to let the oil system brethe and catch the vapour instead of letting it enter the intake and potentially lower the octane rating....

The idea is that the catch causes turbulence in the flow and it "fogs or rains" the oil to the bottom... hence catching the oil before the air is recirculated in through the intake..... The correct and Legal way is like my setup.

yo pig man u got a good diagram of how urs is set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Pig_man84 View Post
    The correct and Legal way is like my setup.
    may be legal... but far from correct.

your system works fine for a non turbo engine... issue is as soon as you have positive pressure in your plenum, the pcv will close, hence no breathing can occur as you now have a blocked connection to your catch can. If you suffer blowby on boost, you will pressurise your crankcase and either blow the oilstick out, cover the engine in oil and suffer a possible fire, or you will blow out some other oil seal.

the correct ways are as I have already posted, as you retain a vacuum connection during idle and during boost.

Lancaster Nismo Founder Packrat has disabled reputation

this is confusing
    Be proud to be different,

Quote Originally Posted by niscort View Post
    may be legal... but far from correct.

your system works fine for a non turbo engine... issue is as soon as you have positive pressure in your plenum, the pcv will close, hence no breathing can occur as you now have a blocked connection to your catch can. If you suffer blowby on boost, you will pressurise your crankcase and either blow the oilstick out, cover the engine in oil and suffer a possible fire, or you will blow out some other oil seal.

the correct ways are as I have already posted, as you retain a vacuum connection during idle and during boost.
    but i thought pig_mans was a turbo?

+ Reply to Thread