REMOVE ADS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water/coolant leaking from bottom of engine??

Not so Newbie h29 is very helpful round here

Water/coolant leaking from bottom of engine??

Hi all.
    I have just bought a 1983 N12 EXA and trying to get it fixed for RWC.
    Rego expired 2 years ago. Strangely, it has only done 125,000 KMs...

There are a few problems that I can see, but I have no experience in fixing a car though.
    The engine starts and runs fine, except the leaks from muffler, the turbo (also?) and issues stated below.

1. When the engine is running, there's water coming out from the bottom of engine. It is not fuel or oil. Water from radiator?? Can't see where it is coming from.
    2. When I pour the coolant into the radiator, after abt 5 secs of pouring it comes out at the bottom of engine (on the driver side, can't find the source). No leaks at the radiator though.
    3. For the turbo, when it revs up to 3000rpm, turbo kicks in, i can hear the "whistle sound" of the turbo but the engine starts to "cough". Felt like going to stall.
    Is this because of the holes in the muffler? or problem with turbo?
    It runs fine below 3000rpm though.
    4. Also, the radiator fans are not working. And, the locking handle of sunroof is broken. Anywhere to find the parts?

Engine sounds good, clutch and gearbox works fine too.

can someone help me with these issues?

Thinking of sending it to the Mr Muffler. Bad idea?

Sorry about my poor english.

Thanks!

Guru Paul Smith has disabled reputation

Quote Originally Posted by h29 View Post
    1. When the engine is running, there's water coming out from the bottom of engine. It is not fuel or oil. Water from radiator?? Can't see where it is coming from.
    2. When I pour the coolant into the radiator, after abt 5 secs of pouring it comes out at the bottom of engine (on the driver side, can't find the source). No leaks at the radiator though.

Jack the car up and lie on your back underneath. Check the hoses that go to the oil cooler on the back of the engine block. You'll probably need a torch.

3. For the turbo, when it revs up to 3000rpm, turbo kicks in, i can hear the "whistle sound" of the turbo but the engine starts to "cough". Felt like going to stall.
    Is this because of the holes in the muffler? or problem with turbo?
    It runs fine below 3000rpm though.
    Remove and clean the plugs that go to the ECU under the passenger seat. It's a common problem.

Mods
    T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 3 Cam, 5th Injector

Mods To Come
    AdapTronic ECU, FJ20et Injectors, Lowering With Progressive Springs, Paint, Ported Head

Thanks Paul!

I will do that when I find a jack that is working.

Btw, my N12 is in Gold too.

Former Member Brian_ratm is someone we respect Brian_ratm's Avatar

As i stated in the previous thread and as Paul said, chances are its the plugs into the computer under the passenger seat problem, take them out and clean them, wiggle them gently when the problem happens and see if it works, there is a thread on here exactly how to fix them i think use the search function if it is the plugs.

tried the Stop Leak, but it didn't work.

tried patching the muffler with muffler bandage... failed too.

gee... should I spend the money to get it on the road??

anybody wants to buy it off me??
    i am completely hopeless in fixing cars...

Go and join the following forum. It's more active and you'll get more help. Someone may even come over and take a look at it for you.

http://forum.n12turbo.com/index.php?...ed3282a9f50f38

Mods
    T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 3 Cam, 5th Injector

Mods To Come
    AdapTronic ECU, FJ20et Injectors, Lowering With Progressive Springs, Paint, Ported Head

tinter T-NEX is well respected T-NEX's Avatar

hi mate. i have a nx coupe, not sure if its the same but i had the same prob last weekend, its either the welsh plugs or the water pump but not sure if its the same for your car. mine turned out to be the water pump
    mods so far:
    custom boot lid,custom paint,extractors,cat emptied out.cold air intake,lowered suspension,viper alarm (it talks to you. lol),clarion stereo and speakers,tinted windows (makes car go much faster),new lenso super light racing mags.(not in picture yet), 2 1/2 inch exhaust(chromed)
    sports steering wheel and gear knob (first thing,everyone does),gissmo shift light (helps me do two things a once),if it looks like your loosing,push girlfriend out while racing (gives a 2 pound boost)

Club Member leayr has disabled reputation

hi i just had a similer problem the car would run like shit and piss out water if it helps ya my car was leaking water from the turbo and that was corseing the car to play up cheers leayr

Thanks, guys!

I will bring it to a mechanic next week for inspection.
    Hopefully it won't cost me too much.

Hi all.

How much would it cost to replace the water pump and get the muffler fixed?

or is it too much trouble to do it myself?

thanks!

i might just keep the car and fix it.

can i get new water pump for N12 still?
    can someone tell me where to get it? nissan dealer?

also, i need to replace the locking handle of the sunroof... any idea?

thanks!

Nissan, Bursons, Aussie Auto, Repco.

Mods

Mods To Come

+ Reply to Thread