REMOVE ADS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Install OIL TEMP GAUGE

Sound System GOD bitches fever is a name known to all fever is a name known to all fever's Avatar

How to Install OIL TEMP GAUGE

It seems a few people have no idea how to install an oil temp gauge, or what they actually need to do the job properly. Well here it is:

NOTE: The exact same procedure can be used for an oil pressure for those in the U.S gauge installation Also and also work for the nx's. And i got the engine out so it make it easier for me to show you.. hope you'll enjoy

Required Components:

(From left to right) OIL SANDWICH PLATE, PRESSURE/TEMP SENDER, NEW OIL FILTER, ENGINE OIL (not shown)

These gauges and the oil sender adapters and everything you need can be purchased and postage Australia Wise @.. (www.audiocomalbany.com.au)

STEP 1:

Remove the oil filter. (drain the engine oil first!!)

STEP 2

Thoroughly clean the oil filter mounting plate using a clean rag.

STEP 3

Dummy fit your sender into your sandwich plate and trial fit it onto the engine. Find a position that allows everything to fit neatly.

STEP 4

Seal off any unused sandwich plate ports, be sure to use thread tape so that they do not leak.

STEP 5

Install the sender unit into the sandwich plate. You cannot use thread tape on the sender unit, as the body of the sender unit needs to earth through the plate and to the engine. Using thread tape will prevent this. Instead use a liquid sealant on the thread.

Note how the sealant squeezes out the top and forms a nice seal.

STEP 6

Install a new oil filter (and refill with oil), and admire your handywork, the dirty job is now done.

STEP 7

Mount your gauge(s) in your desired position.

STEP 8
    Wire up your gauge(s).

Wiring colour codes and connections will vary slightly for different brands of gauges, but generally they are all the same. usually on an electrical type gauge you will have 4 wires (2 or 3 on a mechanical type gauge, power, ground and dimmer).

They are commonly:

RED- 12V ACCESSORY POWER
    BLACK - GROUND
    COLOUR 1 - SENDER UNIT SIGNAL
    COLOUR 2 - BACKLIGHT DIMMER

Consult the instructions included with your gauge for your particluar colour codes. For Autogauge brand gauges connect as follows:

Connect the red wire to a voltage source that is operational when the ignition is in the "ACC" position.
    Connect the black wire to a ground point.
    Connect the green wire to the terminal on the top of the oil pressure sender unit.
    Connect the orange wire to a circuit that is operational when the headlights or parkers are turned on. (eg: the small light in the ashtray).

NOTE: The orange wire is an optional dimmer, firstly try the gauge at night with the orange wire disconnected, if you find the gauge too bright then connect up the orange wire, this will dim the gauge whenever the headlights/parkers are on (night time).

STEP 9
    Start up your car an check out your new oil pressure/temp gauge (keep an eye out for any leaks around the sandwich plate)!!!

NOTE: The instructions above are for an electrical oil temperature gauge. However exactly the same process is used when installing an electrical oil pressure gauge.

It can also be used when installing mechanical type gauges, simply ignore the sender unit references and screw the probe into the sandwich plate instead.

ALSO If there is only one signal wire from the sensor to the gauge, the other terminal on the sender is for a grounding terminal. Put a multimeter between it and the sender body, you will probably find they are connected.

Fever
    Last edited by fever; 26th March 2009 at 07:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by exacyzm View Post
    I could weld better, and I have never welded anything in my life. I don't even know what end to weld with.
    Red Moon Build Thread
    Post your coupe here
    PARTS FOR SALESSS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    NAME YOUR RIDE HERE BITCHES
    RED ANGEL BUILD THREAD

Sound System GOD bitches fever is a name known to all fever is a name known to all fever's Avatar

This and more HOW TO's can be found here!!! http://forum.nissanexa.com/showthread.php?t=24413
    Last edited by DEVILsEXA; 26th March 2009 at 07:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by exacyzm View Post
    I could weld better, and I have never welded anything in my life. I don't even know what end to weld with.
    Red Moon Build Thread
    Post your coupe here
    PARTS FOR SALESSS <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    NAME YOUR RIDE HERE BITCHES
    RED ANGEL BUILD THREAD

+ Reply to Thread