REMOVE ADS
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help: Trying to install new CV axle on front passenger side

Not so Newbie soundofbread is very helpful round here soundofbread's Avatar

Help: Trying to install new CV axle on front passenger side

I'm just following a book, never done this on a car before, I bought a complete CV axle assembly, or what ever it is called (has two separate boots covering the bearings) from autozone. I got an automatic ca18det. Once I pulled the old part out, I immedeatley noticed the difference in length. The problem is that the replacement CV assembly didnt have the "extender" shaft. Do I have the wrong replacement part? Or is there someway to get the extender piece off the old part and onto the new one?

Club Member Mojo is very helpful round here

First things first: Is your car LHD or RHD? Most cars on this forum are RHD, because they're AUDM. The USDM Pulsar NX is LHD. Passenger/Driversside could mean different things for each.

If you have a RHD car, and you bought the axle from Autozone, which is a US-based company, there's a significant chance you got the wrong one.

Do you have some pics of both axles?

What do you mean by "extender shaft?"

First double check the part number on your invoice compared to the part number on the box your new shaft came in. Ideal a number that is printed on the box instead of just a sticker. (I know it sounds simple but I get calls at work where the picker pulled the wrong part from the shelf all the time.)

Also keep in mind that the left side and the right side are not the same length: http://nissan4u.com/parts/pulsar_nx/...repair_kit_ff/

Based on what I'm seeing both at the site above and in the service manual, it doesn't matter what setup/year you have it should have the small shaft on outter most ends with splines. One end to go into the hub, the other to go into the transaxle. (transmission, gearbox, whatever)

Hope this helps

It's LHD.

The part I have looks just like the part for the driver's side in the link that Saberkat provided (but that link is of a RHD car)

The manuel I am using shows this picture

If you look at the bottom right part, you can see the slide joint housing with "extender" shaft I have been referring to, the rest of the shaft and everything are exactly the same lenth, it's just missing that extender shaft... Without the shaft, it is not long enough to reach the transmission gearbox or whatever its called.

I actually have both driver and passenger side new VC axles, cause I was going to go ahead and replace both, and yes the driver side is much longer (boots are also farther spaced out)

Also, I forgot to take pictures while I had it all out, had to put the old one back in to use it for work. ;/

Club Member Mojo is very helpful round here

Does it look like this one?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=2288

The bottom one.

Also the passenger side should be the longest, NOT the driversside.

Is this the one you received?
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...=25902_0_4302_

Or this one?
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...=25901_0_4281_

Boost is addicting!! LiquidNeon is someone we respect LiquidNeon's Avatar

hey soundofbread, i assume you are a fellow north american. It is super, like SUPER frigging hard to get the correct axle for ca18de N13 pulsar nx cars... i ordered from 4 different sources a few years back and no one could get me the right part. I finally sourced one from a junkyard and rebuilt it myself.
    It now sits under my ca18det and going strong. just did a 2 gear burnout the other day

Someone else in america found one from another route, if he doesn't chime in i will try to get ahold of him for ya.

*try cardone - 60-6034 or 60-6027, says another pulsar owner! (part numbers may not be 100% correct. i will look too)

**looked on their website and found this part number 60-6085 for rh dohc on a 1988. the picture is a generic stock photo, so before ordering anything i would call first.
    I hope this all helps!!
    Last edited by LiquidNeon; 7th March 2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: more info
    Daily 2000 'yota echo 40mpg!
    fun ca18det pulsar nx
    USA, east coast

Liquid Neon is readily available at $2 per liter!

I typed up a really nice and detailed message in response to you guys earlier today, but for some reason it needed to be approved by a moderator, just tried again a few minutes ago, and its letting me make the post. Anyways, heres the sum of the my original post from today.

Mojo - The ones I got from autozone are those two parts, which look just like the parts from rock auto.

Neon - I'm pretty sure you found the right part there! I went ahead and ordered 606027 from parts geek.
    http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/...FcyiPAodAFUAKQ
    You can see the 3 bolt bracket, and the extender shaft in that picture, which is exactly what my original part looks like.

I'll keep you updated when it gets here in a week.

If its not the right part, I'll have to try and go through nissan directly which will probably cost between $400-$600.
    Last edited by soundofbread; 8th March 2013 at 02:45 PM.

yeah... nissan doesn't have them anymore. I tried back in '06 and they couldn't locate any in the US. nissan discontinued almost all CA support so we are in a bind there.
    fun ca18det pulsar nx
    USA, east coast

So the new axle 606027 arrived last night, this morning I threw it in, everythying went smoothly and now there is no more clanking noises all the time, especially when I would turn!
    I remembered to take pictures today.

Thanks for the help everyone!

AWSOME! glad to see a real axle showed up. keep fixin it up
    fun ca18det pulsar nx
    USA, east coast

EXA/NX Maniac 89-pulsar-kid is very helpful round here

The new one is fine it should fit just fine its just designed a little different should go in the same way!?

EXA/NX Maniac zaktallica is very helpful round here

I have a 1986 CA16DE pulsar and I am in the US. Will this axle work for me as well?

sadly zak, if you are using the ca16de transmission, it is smaller then the ca18de trans. You will have to do your own look up for parts. the ca18 trans is basically the same as a maxima while the ca16 uses a smaller ones found on GA, E, and SR fwd setups.
    If you go to that same website, maybe they have ca16 parts.
    fun ca18det pulsar nx
    USA, east coast

It could be the same one, its the one they used in 87's, which have the smaller engine. Crawl under it and take a peek at what the full axle looks like before you pull it out, that would of saved me a headache.

I dropped it off at a mechanic and they ordered 3 different ones that didn't work.. So I really am on my own here for finding some. They said the "knuckle into the tranny" was usually too big. I'm not really sure how to take these apart and this is my daily driver so I really wish I had a easy way to find the one I need. I'm not sure which one to order online since they all seem to be blind luck..

EXA/NX Maniac Morg is very helpful round here Morg's Avatar

Ok Zak.. here are some links for you to peruse....

First.. parts breakdown from Nissanpartszone.com

second... autozones list of driveshafts for your vehicle.. crossreference the part numbers from nissanpartszone to autozone and get the correct shaft.

With a little digging you can find just ABOUT anything you need lol....
    Last edited by Morg; 31st May 2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by tatty000 View Post
    Owen, go jump.

SR's are like that average looking girl. You know she's normal, not the best, but will get the job done.

CA's are like that banging hot girl with daddy problems and her ex-boyfriend is a murderer. You know she's bat crazy, but damn... just do it.

Newbie Desperado is very helpful round here Desperado's Avatar

Hi guys! I apologize for the fact that not a "theme". Can anyone have a photo of the left driveshaft RS5F50V(LSD)? It is very necessary. Thank you.

Just to let you guys know the part numbers for a 1987 nissan pulsar nx se from auto zone that worked are
    right hand side:39100-65a00
    left hand side: 39101-65a00
    I bought these and they went right in!

Newbie Jaz713 is very helpful round here Jaz713's Avatar

Are these drive shafts LSD?

I'm installing a U11 ca18det in my n13 pulsar but I lost the RH Drive shaft exactly like yours when moving house. I have already bought a new set of lsd ones as I needed them, but just wondering how it would go without the part that bolts to the block? I would possibly be keen to order the same one you got if it will definitely fit a u11 blubird/n13 pulsar.

Kind regards

Jazz

[QUOTE=soundofbread;798664]So the new axle 606027 arrived last night, this morning I threw it in, everythying went smoothly and now there is no more clanking noises all the time, especially when I would turn!
    I remembered to take pictures today.

EXALATED Smurf4107 is very helpful round here Smurf4107's Avatar

Bit of an old post mate. No one really come on here anymore.

More people on the facebook page that can help. What part do you need? The rear bracket from the block? if so im sure some one on the facebook page has a spare. I might have one also.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Nissanexa/

+ Reply to Thread