REMOVE ADS
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1989 Pulsar fuel starvation?

Newbie Warble is very helpful round here

1989 Pulsar fuel starvation?

I have a 1989 Pulsar with a the Ga16i TBI and a five speed, and I've had this sporadic issue where once the car is fully warmed up and not before, while you're around 2500-3000 rpm, the engine will start to sputter while cruising at a constant speed almost like it isn't getting enough fuel, if you jab the pedal it will shape up but not for long, im wondering if perhaps the fuel pump is going out, the pressure regulator isn't working right, or the injectors are dirty, let me know

Note: last summer I replaced the air filter, all 4 spark plugs, all 4 spark plug wires, the fuel filter, and the distributor cap and rotor so I really don't think its a spark issue at this point but it could be an ECM issue or something, im no expert yet

also some general questions:
    I've heard you can buy the fuel/temp guage regulator for the cluster from Nissan dealerships still but that might have been old info. Im not worried about fuel as much as temp, pulsars are geared so short that 60=3000 rpm so im afraid I might go for a long highway stint and find out too late that all that revving was making it run hot

also, would these 14x5.5 4x100 pattern 1998 Corolla S rims fit on a Pulsar without much trouble? the pattern is correct, but what tire profile would work? and would I need spacers for the shocks?

Guru Rik is someone we respect Rik's Avatar

Hey warble!
    Welcome to the club! As for your questions, lemme see if I can help a bit. My 89 also has the Ga16i/5spd.
    How many miles do you have on the motor? I ask cause mine studders about the same rpm as yours and its its not fuel or spark...its timing. These motors have a timing CHAIN instead of a belt! Good for longevity, but the Ga is famous for the 'death rattle' noise you may be hearing. The chain guides break then the chain slaps against the timing cover till it makes a hole, then pukes all the oil grenading the engine. Before that happens, at around 150k+ miles, the chain gets stretched. Just a bit, but enough to throw off the timing. Mine is/has been doing that 3000rpm hesitation thing for a while now, but my Ga has over 200k+ miles!!! Don't know fo sure since my odometer quit at 171k five years ago.
    I keep the chain noise down by using Castrol 20/50 oil. (I'm in FL, so it doesn't get cold enough to be an issue) And I always change the oil right as it starts to get a little dark, not 3000miles. Maybe that's 1500 miles, I dunno, but it still runs like a champ, so...
    There's only ONE injector, and it's in the throttle body. I always use premium fuel and octane boost every fill-up. Keeps the injector from clogging from that ethanol crap they put in gas now. Wouldn't hurt to spray some carb cleaner down its throat once in a while, while you're throttling to keep it from stalling. That little screen gets gunked up too.
    As for the wheels, like em, they'll prob turn ok, but the center bore may be an issue. I'm using 4x100 15" BBS wheels from a VW Corrado. I had to get the centers ground bigger to fit Nissan. Worth it tho, I think. : )

Guru Buzz has a brilliant future Buzz has a brilliant future Buzz has a brilliant future Buzz's Avatar

make sure the center will fit as some other cars have a smaller center bore size
    Green is not a colour it's a state of mind!!

ALL YOUR GREEN M&M'S BELONG TO ME
    ShReXa in the making CLICK HERE

i actually found some of those rims at a junkyard and test fit them to a pulsar at the same junkyard, they don't fit the center, but anyway, my problem persists. ive just read your reccomendations today as i haven't checked back here in a while. i could try some carb cleaner or octane boost first, but the thing is i don't hear a rattle at all, the car just seems to lose power and backfire a little until you step even slightly on the gas, i have a feeling it could be some sort of sensor like throttle position or MAF. the only reason i think that is because the car doesn't idle well either. its bipolar when idling, it either revs up to 2500 when you take it out of gear or revs to 1500 and slowly drops to a shaky 500. this makes me think that the idle control valve isn't working properly which may have something to do with the sensor array

+ Reply to Thread